Monday, August 1, 2011

Let your fingers do the walking

We seem to get a new batch of phone books at least quarterly here, and with competing phone companies and multiple publishers, they accumulate quickly. I just found a 2007 edition under the stack of three 2010-11's, and we didn't even move here until 2009.

With our internet dependence and the increasing intelligence of cell phones, the usefulness of even the most current phone books is debatable, but I still refer to them frequently, and I know for a fact that I am not alone. When Opa and I settled into our new place, I opted for an unlisted number, so that incoming calls would be limited to friends and family who understand our increasingly nocturnal schedule and the unpredictability of sleep in a household where dementia has taken up residence. This completely backfired when a phone book printing error resulted in a flood of urgent calls at all hours from people who found our number misplaced as a local business listing. They sought consultation for septic system and drainage problems, and though caregiving had certainly increased my focus on issues related to plumbing, my trouble-shooting expertise was quite personalized, and I had absolutely nothing to offer the callers other than someone else's phone number.  

Today's downsize challenge is to gather up your out-of-date directories. Your phone book should have a "recycling guide" section that tells you where to put them. In some parts of the country, you will only receive a printed phone book if you ask for one. If you would rather not receive any in the future, click here to opt out of yellow pages delivery by entering your zip code.

 Let your fingers do the walking, right over to the recycling bin.

4 comments:

  1. ...a household where dementia has taken up residence...

    What a stunning turn of phrase. It brings to mind such rich imagery. Interesting because so often one encounters only the negative aspect of this topic, yet here it is rendered completely neutral.

    Rather humorous, too, in re plumbing emergencies. How kind of you to direct wayward callers seeking aid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly wait for this web site wants way more ideas. Spot on with this write-up, I'll most likely be again to learn much more, thanks for those facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is impressive and also great information. I personally liked going through your solid points on this topic. Many thanks for creating such excellent material. This is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your Blog for Earth Day Activities, I'm going to Follow Your Post for my Gardening and planting trees on Earth day Click Here. You are an amazing nature loving Person.

    ReplyDelete