Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Downsizing the IN box: Take the time to unsubscribe

Happy New Year! Has anyone mentioned to you that today is THE LAST DAY FOR FREE SHIPPING? I am pretty sure they are crying wolf, because they said the same thing to me yesterday, and the day before that too. Are you planning to take advantage of up to 50% off of outerwear (I thought about it, but the colors left in stock make me look very ill. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones who can wear something the color of my Oma's split-pea soup and still look fantastic). Thinking of booking a flight starting at $39, (one way, to some city in the midwest in the dead of winter?). Perhaps in your neck of the woods, the spring clothing collection is of legitimate interest already, but sundresses are an unwelcome tease to me right now. And come on, how 'Exclusive' can a 'Deal' really be if I am getting the offer, and so are 50 thousand of my closest friends?

If your 'IN' box has been inundated since the onset of upsizing season, the first Downsize Challenge for 2012 is to take some action. Don't just delete the unwanted incoming messages; Take the time to unsubscribe. Scroll down and find the small print at the bottom of the message. Follow the 'click here' directions. You may have options to simply reduce the frequency of mail from a particular sender, or even the opportunity to give some feedback about your choice to be removed from the list completely. After two weeks of taking the few extra seconds to unsubscribe, I can already see a significant difference in the quantity of my email.

If 2012 is your year to minimize, de-clutterize, and change your relationship with stuff, let's keep each other motivated: comment, share your ideas, make suggestions. But, if you are striving instead to pack your attic, basement, closets, and outbuildings with as much stuff as possible, and you hope to leave behind lots of bent paper clips, old keys, fourth grade science fair project posters, chipped knick-knacks, and cut-off toaster cords in junk drawers for your loved ones to sort someday, and this blog is completely irrelevant to you...I won't be offended at all if you unsubscribe, or stop following, or do whatever it takes to avoid The Downsize Challenge, (unless you are directly related to me).

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I have been downsizing for the last 10 years, and also try to keep my email box uncluttered.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My email inbox is THE most uncluttered thing in my LIFE. It is the one things I can keep under control. If only pushing a little button could make all the dishes clean and put away.
    Thanks for the encouragment!
    -jennie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I have been needing to do this! Thank you Julie :)

    ReplyDelete